Thursday, January 29, 2009

Journey of Faith Video Reflections

I have seen some of this movie in my other BOM class. I thought it was really interesting to note all of the proof that has been found over the years that supports what is in the BOM. Joseph Smith prophesied to someone that if they lived into the next century, they would see proof unfold that supported the BOM's content. There is just absolutely no way that Joseph Smith could have written this on his own. Everything, every detail, is so perfect, that a man with an eigth grade education could not have invented something like this in his wildest dreams. There were cities discovered that were mentioned in the BOM, cities that before had gone undiscovered. The Lord revealed these things in His own time.

I will admit, I fell asleep watching some of this movie; I had a very late night last night. But the video brings up things that I don't think we think about too often; they start to really talk about Lehi and Sariah and Nephi as actual people. I know that for me I don't always think of them as actual people; but they really, really talk about who they were. They talk about Nephi's interest in blacksmithing, and about how he took the time to comment on the detail and craftsmanship of Laban's sword. They talked about how Lehi would have looked to his sons Laman and Lemuel, and how crazy he must have seemed to them. I think one thing important to note is that the way Laman and Lemuel behave is very characteristic of people back in that time. Even though they disagreed with their father, they still left with him, because that was the custom of the family members in that time period. Every tiny detail is absolutely perfect, from the customs to the geography and the descriptions of different locations. Like the man in the video said, this is from God.

No comments: