Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Power of Fasting

God has commanded people in the scriptures to fast. I have a testimony about the power of fasting.

When I was nine, I had my first real experience with it. We were visiting my grandparents in Arizona, and we had brought our dog with us. He ended up getting a very deadly sickness called parvo, which usually kills most dogs that get it. I was sad, because I didn't want him to die, and so my dad suggested that I fast all day the next day to try and heal him. I did just that; I drank liquids, but I went a full day without eating any food. As a nine year old, that is pretty awesome. My dog ended up recovering from the disease, and this was my first really strong experience with fasting.

A few years later, our cat got hurt really, really bad. My brothers and I were distraught, because my parents said that he was probably going to have to be put down, and we loved our cat. After my parents left to go to the vet with our cat, my brothers and I all prayed for our cat that he would be able to be healed. After the prayer, while my parents were still gone, I felt a burning in my chest, and I realized what it was, and I told my brothers that I thought everything was going to be alright. Sure enough, my parents came home and told us that although it would cost a lot of money, they would be able to do surgery for our cat and save him. The surgery was done, but a week or two later his wound ended up getting infected. Once again, we fasted for our pet that he would be able to be healed, and he was.

I know that fasting is a powerful thing. It has saved many of my pets from death, and I hope that I will be able to keep this testimony and be able to have a purpose when I fast on fast Sundays. Even Christ fasted, and He is our greatest example. I encourage everyone, even myself, to fast with a purpose, so that it won't be in vain, and that if God wills it, our prayers when we fast will be answered. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: